Friday, June 20, 2008

I'm Leaving Tomorrow

The past six months have been very interesting. I now officially a Catholic University of America alum, with honors, and unemployed. No big deal, right? So instead of sending another resume and being given the whole "You're over educated and under experienced" spill again, come Monday I will begin my journey from Seattle to DC atop a bicycle. How'd did this happen? I continue to ask myself that same question every now and then.

Am I an experienced biker? No.

Did I train for months and months to build up? Unfortunately, not as much as I should (Hey, senior week activities including free food and booze were mandatory, right?) Don't get me wrong; I didn't completely ignore the fact I would be going and going for 48 days. I rode a little here and a little there - my longest day right under 70 miles. Maybe I should have put in a few more weeks and effort into, but I'm 22. I'll catch on right?

So, what did I do to prepare? I begged. Almost every person in my life was hit up for money (had to raise $5,500 for the American Lung Association, and what recent college grad do you know with that kind of disposable income...NONE), I had to get camping gear and riding gear. Oh yeah, and I had to get a bike!

Luckily I had a sister who randomly won a bike from her company for a job well done. Was this a custom-made road bike suggested for a ride of this magnitude? Nope! It was a hybrid, slightly rusty from a year of being kept in a garage, and completely awkward when I first got on top of it, but it would do. Hard to turn down free, right?

How did I get it? Oh, my boyfriend and I just drove 10 hours to Nashville (where my sister lives) and turned around at 3AM in order to get him back for his last final as an undergrad. Totally makes sense right?

Bike: check.

Money, money, money. I HATE asking people for money, but it wasn't going to appear any other way. The three happy hours we (the two fabulous young ladies who will be experiencing this adventure with me) put on were not quite as successful as we hoped for. Luckily my family and the wonderful people God surrounds me with pulled through, and their support verbally and monetarily set me up for success.

Money: check.

When signing up for this ride around Christmas, I didn't realize the thousands of dollars worth of gear I would need in order to survive in nature for 48 days. There were spare parts, biking jerseys, bike shorts (don't even get me STARTED on those interesting tight numbers with the pads that make your rear absolutely ridiculous), spare tires, rain gear, cold gear, special shoes and socks, a tent, waterproof EVERYTHING, etc. etc. etc.

How did I manage in that department? I just happend to have a friend who is OBSESSED with the outdoors and was willing to depart with his beloved camp gear for two months. I just happened to be really good friends with the son of the VP for Under Armour who was willing to throw me some coldgear and rain gear to keep me warm and dry during cold, wet, miserable days. I just happened to have a sister who willingly opened her pockets in order for me to get the final pieces neccessary to survive. I just happened to have many answered prayers and many miracles from the one above.

Gear: check.

Many worries and a couple of complete meltdowns later, I am geared up, shaped up, and as prepared as I can be to begin this crazy adventure. No turning back now!

3 comments:

Cissy said...

Catie, We are very proud of you and know that the Lord will be watching over you for the next few months. God has something special for you and just keep the faith to know that. Good luck on your ride. We will be keeping up with you. Tell Uncle Felton that we said hello. Love you bunches. Mom and Dad

Cissy said...

Catie, We are very proud of you and know that the Lord will be watching over you for the next few months. God has something special for you and just keep the faith to know that. Good luck on your ride. We will be keeping up with you. Tell Uncle Felton that we said hello. Love you bunches. Mom and Dad

Brooke said...

I think you should post who your first contributor was. I believe that I am the one who started you on this fabulous journey. I'm proud of you.